Dannni Yea

What's on your Ctrl + v?

27 posts in this topic

What is a Nightmare?

Nightmares occur when your child is woken while having a bad dream. It is sometimes not easy to comfort your child because he or she might recall the content of the nightmare and be afraid to go back to sleep. Give your child a reassuring hug and then settling back to sleep is usually quick. Nightmares can occur in children of any age and are most likely to happen during the later part of the sleep such as in the early morning. This is when Rapid Eye Movement (REM) or Dream Sleep usually occurs. Nightmares can reflect worries that your child might be having during the day and it might be useful to talk to about this with them.

What's the difference between Nightmares and Night Terrors?

Night terrors occur when children are partially aroused from deep (Stage 4) sleep. They are not quite awake yet not completely asleep. Throughout the night terror your child's "mind" remains asleep, whereas the "body" looks somehow awake and facial expressions are very emotional. Your child may scream and appear very frightened, usually not recognising the parents or carers. It will be difficult to reassure your child and they may try to run away or push away those trying to console. Night terrors do not arise from REM sleep and are therefore under the group of Non-REM sleep disorders. Usually your child does not remember having the night terror the next morning. Night terrors tend to occur in younger children and are usually outgrown by the end of primary school age. They are also different to nightmares because they usually take place in the early part of the night, usually one or two hours after the child falls asleep. Like nightmares, there are usually no long-term psychological effects.

What to do?

Nightmares

With nightmares, it is usually enough to reassure your child and stay with them until they are comfortably off to sleep again. The next day, it usually helps to talk about the dream and ask about any worries or fears they may be experiencing.

Night Terrors

With night terrors, your child will appear to be confused and not fully awake so keeping them out of harm's way is important. Make sure the home environment is safe as they may sometimes run around (see Home Safety Checklist fact sheet). Doors and windows should be locked and sleeping on the ground floor is encouraged.

During the episode keep them away from danger by gently restraining them- your child will usually go straight to sleep after a few minutes. Parents / carers often report that the more they try to wake them the longer the episode lasts.

was what I emailed mum about an hour ago lol

Perry Twins F. Niki Haris - Bad, Bad Boy (Razor N Guido Radio Edit)

why i cant find me a ebil tr33 today? :( <-- ha gf irc

5 3Gertjaars has gained 03968,147,417 exp in the past 0352wks 1day:

ocks? skylla Nederl?ndska

---

i was talking shit in su

Edited by Scoots56

Allie ***********(My secret surname)

Director's Office

Parliamentary Estates Directorate

House of Commons

Was doing a work email from home today :P

Diana. said (19:05):

i wanna ask u something later boyut dat

is now back - from moms house <33 - Left at 4:09:43 PM - Gone for 1h 20m 42s

^^ haha.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead